Monday, March 22, 2010

I'm naked

It's my office hours. Dr. Grose, Steve and I are looking at some failed experiments. I see the lights before I hear the sound. The fire alarm goes off. Annoyed, we grab a couple things and get ready to leave the building. Should I really bring my cell phone? Might as well... but my backpack is far too heavy to bring outside if I am going to bring it back up really quick. Last time the alarm went off we were outside for 10 minutes total.
Outside the grass feels good as we lay in it and eat our lunch. I'm wearing a skirt today and the sun feels great on my white legs. Soon, a girl who needs help in the class I ta for comes up and we instruct her on the materials in the upcoming test. I realize that I should be preparing for my review tonight, but there will be time to do that once we get back in the building.
30 minutes pass. 45. 1 hour. When are we going back in?
A man walks by carrying pink signs and he tapes them to the doors of the building. What do the signs say? Someone go look at the signs.
"Building closed for rest of the day. 03/22/10"

WHAT?

All my stuff is in there. We devise a plan to get back in. All the professors left their laptops and car keys and glasses. Surely they will let the professors back in to grab their stuff. No go. No one is allowed in.

So, here I sit in the LRC. It is stuffy and packed. I have to prepare a review that is going to suck, I can feel it. I have no backpack, no chemistry book, no notebook. I feel naked. Now I understand why Ian walked around campus with an empty backpack. Don't worry that I'm giving a presentation tomorrow in Parasitology and have two tests as well.

FML.

1 comment:

brooke said...

WHAT THE. that is so dumb. they should let you in.