Thursday, February 19, 2009

picture this

What exactly is it that makes me happy?
I like to think that many things make me happy. Lately in my mind the same phrase has repeated itself. "I live my life in order to make myself happy." A slightly selfish sounding statement- but not far from the truth. You may ask, "Katie, what if what makes you happy hurts another?" Well- I like to think that if I was hurting someone else, I wouldn't be happy. Yet, the exceptions to that are endless... possibly... I can only think of a few thus far.

What made me happy tonight?
-Doing well on my test, the oreos I ate, watching the office, spending time with my roommates and Ian.
Why is it that these things make me happy?
I wish that I could say that most of the time when I am happy that it isn't for superficial reasons. Did you understand that sentence? Perhaps my thoughts are a little too confusing.
The Gospel-
The gospel makes me happy. Does it make me happy all the time? Do I thrive on the happiness that I receive from it? I wish I could say yes... but I can't. When I am sad it is hard to get outside of my self centered attitude to realize how happy I should be because I have the truth and because I know that I have someone who loves me no matter what.
But, sometimes I like to sit in my own despair.
So. What makes me happy then?
-the gospel
-ice cream
-my friends
-oreos
-good dinners
-good hair days
-fun
-doing well on tests
-forgetting that I have a future to plan
-music
-the middle cushion on the big couch
-facebook
-books
-letters in the mail
-talking to my family on the phone
-other things I am sure...



one day I will post a substantial post.
For now you get this picture:


1 comment:

Claire said...

Thank you, darling. Thank you for leaving me with that picture.

That's why I love you. Things like that.