Monday, December 22, 2008

mary-j, weed, pot, grass, dope, reefer, hash, cannabis, and my personal favorite: maui wowie

This phrase seems to constantly be in my mind.. 'smoke weed erey day.' It is a line out of a song and for some strange reason, because of its catchiness perhaps, it seems to roll through my mind quite often. I haven't ever really though about the reality of that phrase. There are many people that I know that do this exact thing, smoke weed every day. Three of them happen to be my siblings. The other night I asked my brother if I could use his car to drive to DQ with Erin. He said that his girlfriend was on her way over but that they were going to go drive around while they smoked pot and on the way he could drop Erin and I off at DQ.... offer declined. Sunday night I went out to dinner with my sister and a friend of hers, Jeff. While at the restaurant they started talking about how that night we were going to go home to play Wii and they were going to smoke pot. I told Sam that it would make me really uncomfortable. She said that they would just do it in the computer room. Jeff asked what about it would make me feel uncomfortable and I explained that everything would. These are grown adults. They are both in their 30s with careers. Please, grow the eff up. My goodness. You are not in high school anymore. Am I judging you? Yes, completely. Don't complain about your lack of money when you spend $5 a day on cigarettes, who knows how much on pot and alcohol. Wow, I got carried away.
Later in the conversation I mentioned to Sam how she said we would go to the light fest. Her friend Jeff joked, "well, you are going to have to go in the cab of the truck while your sister and I smoke." Whaaaaaaaaat. No way buddy. I said, "or you guys can just control yourselves for one night." He responded, "it's not about controlling ourselves, it is about whether we want to or not." Yeah, I am sure that is what it is about. Selfish? As we were leaving they continued to talk about getting high once we got back to Sam's. I snapped at Jeff and left the table. Sam walked after me and by this time I was crying. She said "wow, that was rude Katie." I turned around and faced her. She saw that I was crying and I said "Sam, just take me home if you are going to smoke. I will not be around it; I will not be around you when you are high." She came up to me and said it was all a joke. I know it wasn't. Sam isn't the bad guy, neither is Jeff. There was no "bad guy" in this situation. It is just me and what I want to be around and how I react when reality hits... Wow, no, I am not in Utah anymore. Wow, nobody else in my family holds my standards. Wow, my sister is always pressuring me to break them. They just don't know, they just don't know how I am. Have I become weak and unable to handle the world since moving to Utah? I don't think so... I think I have just become more sensitive to promptings from the Spirit. I know it was the Spirit that made me feel this way. I know the Heavenly Father was there watching over me and helping me stand up to my sister. I know this Church is true and I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen...

Carried away again, but you know what I mean. I am grateful for my time spent in Utah. I am grateful that these things get to me; I hope they always do. That way I know I am doing the right things.



Eh.....
Merry Christmas?
yeah... Merry Christmas

3 comments:

brooke said...

kate, i'm so sorry. i think about being in your position a lot, and every time i know i would never be able to handle it. you are so strong!! i think it definitely was the spirit/lack thereof that was the reason you felt that way. i know the spirit will keep directing you as to how to handle things like this.
keep your chin up, girl. you're so awesome.
i love you.

Unknown said...

i love you, katie. I'm glad that you're such a good girl. i know how hard it is to stand up to your family, and i'm super proud and impressed.
merry christmas.

kendra and jeffrey said...

You rock.